So, here’s a question. What do you do when you care tremendously about several important projects in your life, most of which are your job, one of which is not. Answer: you neglect the project that doesn’t pay the bills, no matter how much you love it. Sorry, Twenty Pieces.
I’ve thought a lot about giving up on the blog (not the project, just writing about it), but when it comes down to it, I can’t and I don’t want to. I really believe in a lifestyle of minimalism and beauty, and I think Twenty Pieces is promoting that combination in a way that no one else is, and starting a discussion that is really important. And so I’m just going to have to manage my time better (surprise surprise), and figure out a way to keep this blog going. Because I believe in it.
On to the updates:
1. I live in Houston, Texas now. That’s weird right? It feels weird. I’m surprised every time I look at my facebook and it tells me that that’s where I live. On the other hand, after six weeks here, I think I actually love the city. Los Angeles and I always had a troubled relationship, and Houston mends many of LA’s problems. It’s affordable and leafy, but still has wonderful cultural opportunities. There’s much more opportunity for success for a great diversity of people here too, which is something I always thought might be missing in the City of Angels. If you weren’t a starlet or a genius, things were going to be tough. The weather’s not nearly as bad as I thought it would be either.
2. I miss my friends and family so much it’s like having a constant stomachache. This is one way in which Southern California will always win out: it contains my favorite people. And I really love my favorite people. Making new friends is hard, guys. I know you’re supposed to get over that feeling in, like, kindergarten, but even in my 20s making new friends is a kind of torture that probably only other introverts can truly understand.
3. People insist on calling my homeland “Cali” when talking to me. NO ONE IN “CALI” CALLS IT THAT. Stop.
4. I’ve rolled through Spring and Summer with my primarily black wardrobe and haven’t regretted it at all. I have two dresses, one pink patterned silk, and one red, grey, and blue silk that are bright for whenever I feel the need to lay off the Morticia Adams stuff, but so far, I’ve been perfectly happy in my basic black.
5. When working in a professional environment with a limited wardrobe, black pieces and good hair and jewelry are, I think, essential to people not noticing that you wear the same thing over and over.
6. I love my new job so much, guys. It’s perfect for me to an extent which is a little frightening. It does, however, take up a lot of my mental energy, so learning how to still write on the side after thinking hard all day is a new thing I’m learning (slowly).
7. I’m doing a fitness challenge that is slowly but surely changing my life. I can’t wait to tell you more about it, and why it matters to Twenty Pieces.
8. I get manicures now. Like a fancy person. It’s mostly to make up for my too long, to undone, too blonde, California hair.
9. I still can’t get over it every time it rains here (which it does a lot). I want to just stare out the window at it all day and night. I love rain like only a drought-ridden Californian can.
10. There’s no way IN HELL I’m doing 13 for 13. But I’ve got some plans. Oh yes, good plans.